Monday, March 28, 2011

Bye Bye Google Eye

My poor, poor Arlo... When he was born, he was born perfect and then he started growing and for some reason things started to go wrong.  He had to get his tongue clipped so he could eat properly, he will someday have to get his jaw fixed from his severe underbite and this last friday he had to get his lazy eye surgically corrected.

Here are pre-surgery, (The left eye is looking at the t.v and the right is not)


So we went to a pediatric surgery center where Arlo got to wear this beautiful gown and play until it was his turn to go into surgery. 
In this picture he is sad because I am making him take a picture instead of playing.
 Arlo loves when his daddy tickles his back!

From the pre-op room we put Arlo in a little car where a nurse pushed him into surgery.  He had to be completely put under so they put a gas mask on him until he fell asleep and then put in an IV to keep him under.  The surgery only lasted about 30 minutes and Dr. Pachman said it went wonderfully.  He preformed the procedure by tunneling through the white of each eye (he had to work on both eyes to correct the one) to get to the muscles in the back and he loosened the muscles where they were too tight so they could eventually strengthen and be normal.

These are when Arlo woke up.  They give the kids a popsicle to get re-hydrated.


He was happy while eating his popsicle and then he went from happy to scared/confused/mean.  My poor little guy did not know why his eyes hurt or why he had an IV in his leg.  Plus, the nurse said when kids come off of anesthesia they are very cranky.  And that was an understatement.  We spent the next 30 minutes holding Arlo's arms down because if we let them go he would hit us, and then he would get even more upset because we were restraining his arms.  It was a lose-lose situation.

The car ride home where he passed out and had a blood stained tear on his face.  (breaks my heart every time I see this picture)

After a 4 hour nap he woke up in a better mood and we spent the day watching movies and tv!  You can see in the next pictures his blood shot eyes that will be blood shot for the next week or two.  



But... my boy is a trooper and even after all that he still can be silly with his dad!

That is, until we have to put his eye ointment in.  Then he is a sad/mad boy once again!

5 comments:

Jen Perkins said...

Poor Arlo! And poor Shiloh and Tim! That picture with the bloody tear is heart-breaking. Glad everything went well! Owen was also a monster coming out of anesthesia after his tubes were put it. Not fun to watch!

Tallona said...

Its like I just re-lived my childhood. POOR Arlo! I totally remember playing pre-op, waking up and kicking my legs and arms everywhere (from the anesthia), oh wait but I puked and then the puke fell over me! Long story and I dont let my parents forget it!

This may not work for Arlo BUT, my grandma bribed me with a dollar every time I would hold still for my mom to put the ointment in my eye. Obviously, you would have to bribe him with something else but, hey it may work. Also, the thing I hated about the ointment was that it didn't hurt but, it was the look of this metal tube coming at me (straight into my eye). Although it is just a normal tube trust me it looks huge and metal when you are little. Talk to your mom and see if there is omething that you can use to put the ointment in his eye without squeezing it directly into his eye. Did that make sense??

Rob and Alexa said...

Oh Arlo! I'm so glad that everything went so well. The blood tear is heartbreaking. He is darling and Caleb and I can't wait to hang out.

Hendriksen Happenings said...

Ohhh poor Arlo!!! :( That's so sad!! And hard for you guys!! I'm glad he's getting it all fixed now. He'll just be even more adorable!! His poor little red eyes- hope they heal up quickly!

Tanna said...

Oh man, this brings back all the anxiety of when Cooper and Lincoln had to have a surgery. I hate the wating for them to wake up and they look so pale. Those little pouty lips are the cutest I've ever seen. It's amazing how quickly kids can bounce back. Hope he is feeling better. I can't believe the change you can see in your pictures after surgery. It's amazing what they can do.