Friday, July 6, 2012

Swimming Lessons



This year we put Arlo in Swim lessons at the public pool.  Which is funny because I am a swimmer, I used to be a life guard and swim lesson teacher and swim team coach, but I admit I would rather take my child to lessons than teach him myself.  I do however, reinforce lessons when we are swimming together.

His first lesson he cried and got out of the pool and refused to get back in.  When he did, he cried and screamed.  The second lesson, I put him in with his teacher and left so he could not see me, and again he cried the entire lesson but he did not get out of the pool.  After that I bribed my son an icee and candy if he listened to his teacher and did not cry.  It worked, he did wonderful on the third day and has been doing wonderful ever since.  We are now on our second round of swim lessons and he can swim about 5 feet without help and can swim an entire length (15 feet) with help two times to let him catch his breath.  He is doing wonderful and I am proud of him and I am aiming for an independent swimmer by the end of the summer.








Arlo has learned to snorkle as well, which we are really excited about because we are planning a Hawaii trip next year in May!


No comments: