Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hollage


Better get comfortable!  This is going to be a long one, but it has been too long since I blogged just about my boys.  And if you ask me, they are pretty special and very interesting.  So... 

Arlo,  how do I even begin with this boy?  Can there be any boy who is so wonderful and sweet and amazing while at the same time frustrating, annoying and ornery???  If that is possible it would be Arlo.  
Arlo is now 3 years and 5 months.  He is tall and skinny and looks just like his dad.



He loves his little brother and they play so good together most of the time.  The rest of the time,  he is selfish with his toys and obsessed with fighting stuff (anything super hero/guns/swords/ninja) and because of his obsession with fighting stuff he is constantly in peoples faces and/or hitting people.  He is super smart, not a genius or anything but he is smart.  He knows his colors, can count up to 14 (skip 15) and then up to 20 and can count objects correctly (has good one-on-one correspondence) up to about 10.  He can spell and write his first name, knows my phone number can recognize probably 30+ uppercase and lower case letters consistently, he loves to read and most importantly he thinks.  This kid comes up with some of the most interesting explanations for things he sees and does.  I wish I had an example for you but of corse because I am bragging about it, nothing comes to my mind.  But, I can say that when he usually is about to get in trouble for something he has done he always has great excuses for why it was done (or not done) a certain way.  I find myself going from extremely angry to trying not to laugh as he is explaining himself.  He also has an imaginary friend, who is his best friend (but just about everyone is his best friend).  His name is Hollage, and Hollage is what grownups call a scapegoat.  But he is there and I have had to make room for him at our dinner table and one day (I am told) I will meet his mother, because I need to talk to her about her parenting skills.



We have also made it to the stage where when he has to tell/show you something he can think of nothing else until he has done what he has set out to say and do.  He makes his presence known even if I am on the phone/in the restroom/talking with another child/singing a song/etc.  He will stand and yell my name (10-20 times) until he gets my complete attention.  Understand, after I hear my name I acknowledge him and let him know he needs to wait until I am done, and he will still continue on his task.  Arlo is also having a hard time understanding/controlling his emotions.  Lately he has been a whiny/temper tantrum throwing monster.  I am trying to do my best to be patient and teach him how it is best to control his feelings and right when I am starting to get somewhere with him, I completely lose my temper and then for the next few day we are at square one.  I have to keep reminding my self that he is 3 and I have no excuse!-)  Easier said than done... right???!!!??

Here are a few of my Super Hero in action!




A cute story, today at the end of church we asked Arlo what he learned about in nursery and he told us happily, 'Joseph Smith'  so we asked what did you learn about Joseph Smith and he answered 'he's a prophet.'  So we asked what did he do, and he answered, 'nothing, he was not at church today.'  HaHa




This is a cute clip of Arlo and his army men.  I thought he would be too young for them, but as soon as he opened them up he knew just what to do... and do, he did!!!!

Cohen is now 22 months.  He is so much smaller than Arlo at this age.  We just moved Cohen into 2t clothes and half of the pants fall off of him.  Where Arlo, at 17 months, was moved into 2t.  And Tow starts looking more and more like his dad everyday.  The biggest news with Cohen right now is his new found allergies.  We just got test results back and his results came back high for eggs and peanuts and low for wheat and dairy.  We have an appointment with an allergist for more in depth results, and for now have an epi-pen. 

 (This is Cohen's smile face... It cracks me up!)

Cohen is a TALKER!!!  Or should I say a talker and a REPEATER!!!  I do not remember how much Arlo was talking at this age but Tow does not stop talking.  I can understand about 70% of it others probably only 30%.  He knows what he likes and what he wants and he tells anybody who will listen and if you do not understand he will either get frustrated and start crying or he will say 'hand', grab your hand and show you what he wants.  He loves to say his prayers and the boys get into fights daily over who gets to say prayers.  We usually end up having two prayers for meals and two night time prayers.  I guess it is good, because we are doubly blessed!!!  The one issue I seem to be having with Cohen and his talking is when he repeats what Arlo is saying.  I really wish I could record a conversation between them because they are hil.ar.i.ous!  Especially when Arlo will say something like, 'You need to be the baby dinosaur' and Cohen will answer 'you baby dinosaur?' and Arlo will say 'no! You.'  and then Cohen will repeat 'You.' and Arlo will say 'no, YOU!'  I am guessing you get where the conversation is going and while it is going, Arlo becomes more and more upset until he pushes Cohen or until I intervene and get them both to understand what is going on.  I have to say, my favorite thing Cohen is saying right now is the word silly.  When ever something is funny Cohen will laugh (usually a fake laugh) with a big smile and squinty eyes and say 'that is silly!'  There is not a single time that he says it that it does not make me smile!


(This is what happens when you get a chair to the face!)

Cohen is also a super smart, genius baby! (hehe)  He already knows all of his colors, can count to 6, and can pick out 2-3 letters/numbers.  He also love to read.  A few of Tow's favorite books are Goodnight Gorilla, Hats for Sale, all Baby 1st word books.  But Cohen's favorite thing in the world is singing.  And his favorite song is 'Old MacDonald Had a Farm' with 'Popcorn Popping' coming in a close second!




A few other favorite things I want to remember: Cohen spending hours playing in the play kitchen and making food for Arlo and me.  His love and need for his blankets and binki (yes still!)  And he loves any kind of crafts/coloring/painting.  He takes twice as much time on his crafts as even the big kids.  On the other hand, he hates his hands being dirty and if they are he will hold out his hands and say yucky until someone helps him wash his hands. (another thing he LOVES to do is wash his hands he would wash his hands a 100 times if you would let him.)  



Lastly, I would just like to add a few pictures of my boys together.  Having 2 kids together has been hard.  But when I watch my boys playing together and being best friends, I would never do it another way.











And here is a little funny to end on!!!

No comments: